Monday, February 29, 2016

Rainy Day Monday

Today was a good day for Jimmy. He woke up rested, no fever and was feeling a lot better. After breakfast he walked with me to the laundromat. It was crowded and several of the washers were broken. I needed three machines but there were only two available. After I got settled Jim walked on to Whole Foods. His mission to buy some good beer. He also had to stop by the bank. Reluctantly I crammed the dirty clothes into two washers. The change machine wasn't working but fortunately I brought enough quarters with me. There was a homeless lady with her large folding cart in the middle of the laundromat. It had plastic bags of "stuff" hanging off the cart. After I started my wash I began a conversation with a nice couple Eddie and Janet. They were very friendly and engaging. He had a humorous sense of humor and was making light of the homeless lady taking over the center of the laundromat. It was raining outside so I get it she didn't want all her possessions outside but the laundromat is a very narrow space. Finally it got so crowded she did move her cart outside.

Eddie and Janet have lived in the city for 25 years. They originally came from California and have been married for 35 years. No kids or pets and both are retired. Eddie spent 45 years in the daycare business and Janet was an occupational therapist with the VA. He makes his own bread and does a lot of the cooking. She has a loom which takes us most of the living room in their one bedroom apartment but she says she spends a lot of time making curtains, table runners and gifts for people. They were so cute sharing the same cup of green tea from a thermos. I enjoyed talking to them.


                      


The lady with the bag was a little off. Sadly I think she was homeless or mentally ill. About the time the laundry was finished Jimmy reappeared from his adventure. We walked back to the apartment and had lunch. I am so glad he is feeling better.

Later in the afternoon we walked to the post office and then another 10 blocks to find the Dockers store. Unfortunately google maps was not notified because the store was no longer there. We stopped by an Enterprise business to inquire on renting a car for a day. Jim thought it would be fun to explore Long Island or the Hamptons.

Mexican is on the menu for dinner and I made some guacamole. We will probably watch a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment