Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Rainy day and problem solving



Today was laundry day but this time I was accompanied by Jimmy. We left early to get it done before the rain came. It was blustery and damp out. After putting in the loads we walked to the bakery to buy a southern pecan loaf of bread Jim has been wanting to try. It was as good as he hoped it would be. We went to Starbucks on the way back and Jim snacked inside the laundromat. Luckily we had the place to ourselves this morning. After the laundry was finished we walked around and looked at three potential apartment buildings to rent in the future. I will need a place to stay once Jim is admitted to the hospital for transplant. There are several extended stay companies I have been in contact with and I know where the apartments are located so we just looked at the buildings and the locations from the street. Since we don't have definitive dates as of yet it is impossible to secure anything. I found one very nice apartment about 13 minutes from the hospital that would be perfect for me. I wish I could book it because I'm afraid it will not be available for long.



It started to rain so we hurried back to the apartment. When we got back we noticed the smoke detector was chirping. You know that annoying high pitched chirp every 30 seconds. We could only find one detector and the chirping sound did not seem to come from it. We spent the next half hour walking around the tiny apartment and freezing like statues trying to ascertain where the chirp was coming from. It really didn't seem to be the obvious smoke detector but Jim pull the battery out of it anyway. He tried to push the test button and nothing happened. We ended up going back out to the drugstore to buy a battery. Even with a new battery something was still chirping. Finally I called Denis, the Airbnb guy and asked him if there were any other detectors that we were missing. He said there used to be a carbon monoxide detector. Bingo. Jim found a chirping box under the sink behind a lot of junk. Problem solved.



1 comment:

  1. Beth - Laura just gave all of us this website - I love, love, love reading your stories and your photos are fabulous. You could just turn all this into a digital scrapbook in no time flat, too! (OK, Laura or I could turn it into a digital scrapbook in no time flat, but you get my point). Think of you and Jim almost every day.... Barb

    ReplyDelete