Thursday, February 4, 2016

Biopsy and Laundry

Today Jimmy had his biopsy. We were up by 5:30 after a restless night of sleep, or lack there of. We left the apartment at 6:15 and walked down the street to MSK. Luckily it is only a 6-7 minute walk. They let me go back with him to the holding area where he changed into a gown and they ask all the pre-op questions. Since he had a PICC line in they did not have to start an IV. Finally around 8:20 they took him back. I walked to Padoca and had a cup of tea with my overnight oats that I brought with me. There was a woman across from me nursing her little baby. My how time flies.

Jim was done with the biopsy by 11:00 and we walked to BagelWorks so he could pick up something to bring back to the apartment. When we arrived back at the place Denis was just finishing bolting shut the window in the bedroom and he reimbursed me for the toaster oven I purchased. He mentioned he liked the way we rearranged the apartment and that it made it look homey. Actually all we did was hide the crap and change the light bulbs to make the room brighter.



I made myself two duck eggs with smoked salmon on corn tortillas for lunch then gathered the laundry to take to the laundromat. Since I had at least three loads I put a lot of it in a rolling suitcase then packed the rest in a big L.L.Bean canvas tote. I made a cold brewed coffee to enjoy while in the hot laundromat. I placed it in the bottle holder of my backpack and went on my way. The minute I got out to the street I passed a man who blew his nose onto the sidewalk. How disgusting is that. Tell me he hasn't heard of tissues. I hurried to make the light and ran across the street lugging the big tote on my shoulder, the backpack on my back and pulling the suitcase behind me. After I had crossed the street a women said I had dropped a towel or something back before I crossed. I laughed and told her I was glad it wasn't my underwear. Back I went to pick up a kitchen towel I dropped and as I bent down to pick it up with people passing me left and right my cold brewed coffee spilled onto my shoulder and jeans. Really???

The machines at the laundromat were all full. There was a tall man near the door and I asked him a question about the extra large machines, the only ones that were empty. He told me they cost $5.50 a wash so no wonder no one was using them. There was a woman with dark eyes on the far side of the room standing near some washers that look like they were almost done with the cycle. I asked her if they were almost finished and she gave me the rudest look. I quietly waited for "her" machines to be finished. After "her" machines were done I waited very patiently while she emptied the wet clothes into the dryer. After she left the tall man and I struck up a conversation. He said she was rude and that some people become very possessive over the machines or even the rolling carts to put your clothes in. We chatted for a good while. I learned a lot about him. His name is Thomas and he is 62 and has been a hairdresser for 40 years. He has been living with AIDS for over 20 years. He and his partner live in the building next to Sebastian's place and his apartment faces MSK. He has a great sense of humor and we talked a lot about life and never giving up. I got his number incase I decide to use him as a hairdresser. We were both done about the same time and walked back towards MSK together. We stopped out front of his apartment and said good bye and I went on my way.

Back at the homestead Jim was hanging out on the couch. Skye called to let me know there was something wrong with her eye. It was swollen, red and painful but she didn't think she did anything to it. I recommended she go to an urgent care before it got too late. Ended up she has a corneal abrasion so I'm glad she got it checked. I spoke to Debby and Denise for a while. Don't really feel like making dinner and neither of us are very hungry but I will come up with something.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. You never know who you will meet and/or what others are going through. We all take life for granted and in fact should truly be cherishing every single breath. Don't worry about the "hers" of the world..she must be going through more than we know. We should all aspire to be the "Thomas's" of the world...opening up to strangers in a laundromat and sharing life's experiences. I've always felt for one reason or another that New York was a magical place and it's why I wanted to take Jules there to experience some of what it has to offer. It's big, it's dirty in places, it's intimidating, but it's refreshing, new, different, and exciting. I think New York is lucky to have you there, Beth. I'm sure you are making a difference in other's lives as well - certainly Jimmy's, helping to better Denis's apartment, talking at the laundromat with Thomas, being so kind to Rose at the Hope Lodge, and I'm sure there are so many more conversations you've had with others in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley. Everyone has a story to tell if we could take the time to listen. I have a lot of waiting downtime in New York which allows me to listen.

    ReplyDelete