Thursday, March 24, 2016

We Have a Definite

After three long months in New York of waiting, treatments, side effects and waiting some more we have a date. Yesterday the transplant doctor reviewed the scan and gave the OK for Jim to proceed to transplant. Admission date is April Fools Day. After we got his call we left the Hope Lodge and decided to take the Staten Island Ferry to get out on the water and have a change of scenery. 

The ferry is free and it was crowded. Unfortunately we walked onto the wrong side of the boat so it was difficult to get a good picture of the Statue of Liberty. It didn't matter. We were happy to just be out on this beautiful day. When we got back to the room we noticed a large wet spot on the rug outside of the bathroom. The cleaning lady had been in our room while we were gone so we thought maybe she spilled her bucket. But the spot was growing and then wet spots were seen on both sides of the bed. We notified the person on duty and they came up to inspect. We were moved to another room down the hall. For the next half hour we moved things back and forth. Like I said earlier I have a lot of stuff. We managed to move it all and lucky for us we didn't have to change floors. I spent the rest of the night putting things away and packing for my trip back home. We also worked on narrowing down where I am going to live when Jim goes into the hospital.

Today Jimmy had a lot of pre-transplant tests to do at the hospital. We were up early and he left on the 7:30 shuttle. I finished packing and solidified a place to stay. It is more than we wanted to pay but it is an extended living 1-bedroom apartment about 5 minutes from the hospital. No more Airbnb's for me right now. I locked in and the two of us will move our belongings on March 31st.

At 12:00 I left to walk to catch the Vamoose bus. I was lucky to get one of the few seats where I didn't have to sit next to someone. The key is to keep standing up and fumbling with your backpack and jacket as people walk by then they sit next to someone else. The bus ride was uneventful but it took longer than expected. Oh and the young girl directly behind me was bus sick and she threw up twice into her lap and bag. My internal alarm went off thinking what if it were the flu? I can't get sick. Not now with Jim going to transplant in a week. I gave the mom some sanitizing wipes and asked her if the daughter was car sick. Luckily she said yes. The bus took almost 6 hours. It must have been because of the upcoming Easter weekend traffic. Jane picked  me up and took me back to the house. It was so strange walking in. As if time had stopped. What little Christmas decorations I put around the house were still up. I also didn't thoroughly clean out the pantry and refrigerator before I left. There is much work to be done in my short time home.

No comments:

Post a Comment