Sunday, March 27, 2016

He Has Risen!

Happy Easter! There is much to be happy about. You wonder how can I say this when Jim is getting ready to undergo the most challenging medical procedures of his life. Well the reason is because I have faith. I trust that God has a reason for what Jim is going through. I don't know what that reason is or why he chose Jim to experience it but I am not afraid. I know that Jim will get through this and in time he will gain his strength back and we will continue with our lives. If you let fear overtake your emotions there is no room left for faith or hope.





When you experience difficulties in life you should look for the silver linings. I have found mine and I continue to keep my eyes open to find more. Here are some of the silver linings I have found:
* Jim has a WONDERFUL oncologist in New York. We trust him which is comforting in itself.
* Jim has Peggy, the nurse practitioner who really cares about him and is always accessible.
* Jim's previous nurse, Jennifer, back in Fairfax was a godsend. She took Jim under her wing and had his back at all times. Meeting healthcare workers who truly care about the outcome of your life helps alleviate a lot of stress.
*We are lucky Jim is able to be at Memorial Sloan Kettering, especially for this extended period of time.
*We are lucky he is self-employed and has wonderful colleagues and office staff looking out for him and his business.
*We are blessed to have a strong family network. Our daughters have been wonderfully supportive and they look out for each other so I don't have to worry. Sara's fiance, Richard, has been a source of strength for both girls which make us feel better. I have gained two sisters in Debby and Sandy who relentlessly have their baby brothers best interest in their hands. I feel I have grown closer to Jim's parents as I witness the incredible love they have for their son. Ashley (and Julian) will send us uplifting emails that always brighten our days. I communicate more with my father and stepmother, Maureen. Maureen's sister is a cloistered nun living in Portugal and she has the entire convent praying for Jimmy. One can't do much better than that.
*Our friends. If you want me to get emotional all I have to do is talk about how incredibly supportive our friends are. First we had the Light the Night Walk last fall when friends and family came to walk for the cure. Our friends that showed up touched our hearts in ways you could not imagine. We even had a few surprises (Ken and his son, Myles & Myrna, Dave & Kim). We didn't know in advance who would show because Skye had the list of walkers. Others contributed through financial donations.
Jane & John are taking care of our boy Boo. It gives us such peace of mind knowing he is in good hands. I hear he will come out of this a more well behaved dog. Thanks John!
Mike and Laura are taking care of the house, checking on things, starting the cars and watering the plants. We know we can call Mike in a heartbeat if there is a problem.
Anne & Matt next door are also keeping their eyes on the house and picking up solicitation flyers and checking on things.
Jeff is not only our accountant but an incredible friend. He gave Jimmy a new horseshoe which I swear has turned Jim's luck around ever since it arrived three weeks ago. It's a long story for another time.
Dave & Kim. Dave knows exactly when to text Jimmy. He and Jim have a special telepathy I can't explain and Kim knows exactly what to say.
Jim W. not only wrote and published a song in honor of Jim but he continues to make him laugh with his artistically written emails.
There are many more friends I did not mention who communicate with me through text or social media and I know how much you also care about Jim and me. You can't know how much I appreciate hearing from you. Please keep it up.


So you see there is so much to be happy about on this Easter Day. I am on the bus back to New York. I spent the last 48 hours back at home checking on the house and exchanging winter clothes for spring ones. We have at least four more months in New York before we get to come home. I had a great 48 hours visiting with family and friends. Skye came home from Charlottesville for the weekend and Sara and Richard also spent a lot of time at the house. I finally put the Christmas decorations away. I did not see Boo. We all thought it would only confuse him if I visited for just a brief time. Jim survived staying in New York without me. He had a good time taking walks on his own, visiting Beer Culture for a good beer and soft pretzel, NCAA on the TV and PIZZA. Now the old lady is coming back and cracking the whip. He has to do everything in his power this week to stay healthy so there are no setbacks to admission.

Happy Easter Everyone!
Be grateful for those in your life. Tell them you love them. Peace, Faith & Hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment