Saturday, March 12, 2016

Farmers Market Signals Spring

Jimmy had to be at the hospital today at 8:30 to have a neupogen shot. This will help his white blood cells grow at a faster rate to help combat his neutropenia. He will have to have them three days in a row. We had to catch the 7:30 shuttle and with little traffic in the city we arrived 40 minutes early. Oh well better early than late. After the shot we walked across the street (literally) to the East 67th Street Market. It was a produce and antique market held in the cafeteria and school yard of a public elementary school. They hold it every Saturday year round. I am so excited about that. I always go to the farmers markets back in Virginia so now I will try to make it to this one on Saturdays. It was great and the prices are much lower than the markets back home. I had to control myself because I have limited space at the Hope Lodge.



We did get lucky with our room (horseshoe is working well) because there is a dorm-sized refrigerator in it. We are not allowed to eat in the room but I can store some of my groceries in the frig. Today I bought beets, potatoes, carrots, organic strawberries, fresh cilantro and apples.


Look how big these carrots are.!! The woman said they are very sweet.




I already washed and de-stemmed the strawberries before I took this picture. I will freeze them and make Jim shakes. His appetite goes away for a few days after chemo and his palate is dulled so if he can drink protein fruit smoothies that will help get calories in. He would like to gain a little weight before transplant.






When we arrived at the Hope Lodge there was no room left in the freezer for any of my things. Luckily I didn't have many items but I will need to buy some. We are on the 12th floor and there are 12 rooms. In the communal kitchen there are two refrigerators. 6 rooms share a refrigerator. We have assigned bins in the refrigerator but the freezer space is a free for all. We are to label our belongings with our room number. It looks like I may be reorganizing the freezer in my spare time.


Tonight dinner was provided by a volunteer group of young college students from St. Joseph's College. They made pancakes, eggs and bacon. The stove stopped working during the bacon preparation which delayed things a little. I brought my dinner down (kale salad with tofu) so Jim could eat what the students prepared. Afterwards we went back to the room and Jim watched the ACC Championship. Seton Hall beat Villanova at Madison Square Garden. We could hear the cheering and celebration from our room. Madison Square Garden is only a block from the Hope Lodge.

Daylight Saving Time is upon us. Don't forget to set the clocks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment