Sunday, April 17, 2016

U Can't Touch This

On my way to the hospital this morning I was delighted in the fact that very few people were on the road or walking down the street. I had Manhattan to myself. I could look up at the sky and tall buildings without having to worry about running into someone. I even stopped in the middle of the street to get one of these pictures.
Sunday, truly a day of rest.

Tulips and pansies are planted along one of the hospital's side street and in containers in front of the main entrance. Usually I enter a side door to get to the elevators. This is the shortest way to get to the M elevators which bring me to Jim's room. Now with the nicer weather I will start taking the long way and enter through the main entrance to the hospital. That will cut down on the number of people I come in contact with. I am becoming more conscious of picking up a bug and getting sick now that Jimmy is entering his most vulnerable stage.


As I entered the main hospital I saw the newspaper man. I have seen him before. He sits in the main entrance selling three different types of newspapers. On Sundays, he visits the floor knocking on the doors "newspaper, newspaper" with a very heavy accent. I bought a New York Times for Jim.

He was awake sitting up in bed with Tad beeping away. Said he called the nurse 10 minutes ago but sometimes they get busy and require another buzzing.
Dr. Hanash and Mary, the NP visited reassuring us once again that just because Jim's blood counts have not bottomed out doesn't mean the chemo wasn't working. I don't care how many times you ask a question, keep asking until you understand the answer and feel comfortable with it. Today I think we finally get it. Dr. Hanash said there are three types of patients: those that are doing great and then all of a sudden hit a bump in the road, those that have a hard time the entire way, and lastly those that sail smoothly throughout the process. After they left the room we looked at each other and said  "sail smoothly". Jim said "Can't touch this!" I broke out into the MC Hammer tune.

Around 2:00 I walked back to the apartment and had lunch. I made a big smoothie with berries, banana, spinach, peanut butter and almond milk. I topped it with granola. Afterwards I walked to Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's only five blocks away. As I waked I passed many restaurants with their doors and windows open to the street. It's Sunday. Lots of people are out enjoying lunch or a drink and listening to music. It is sunny and fairly warm. I wished Jim could walk with me. Bed, Bath and Beyond is a huge three story store. It is much bigger than the Virginia stores. I was looking to buy colored pillow cases for Jim so I can change them out frequently. He is sleeping on our pillows from home and I only brought up a couple of cases. I got back to the hospital around 4:30. Jim had just started to rest on the couch. Luckily no one came in the room for an hour or so.

Tonight we might watch the National Geographic Special The Story of God with Morgan Freeman.


No comments:

Post a Comment