Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Counts Are Bottoming Out


Morning came early today. I was wide awake, rested and out of bed around 6:30. I like to watch a little of The Today Show before I leave for the hospital. The opposite of me, Jim does not like the television on in the morning.
I forgot to post the pictures of flowers I took yesterday. They were all in front of a particular apartment building when I was out walking. Quite a spectacular display.

When I arrived to room 831 Jim was still in bed and the room was dark. I pulled the blinds up to let the sunshine in. Jim wanted to wait to get up after the NP came in. Eventually he was up, ordered breakfast and started the day. He still does not feel as fatigued as we expected. His white blood cell count is 0.2 (normal range is 4-11). This is practically zero so that means he is very vulnerable to infection. Platelets and red blood cells are plummeting fast. A new transplant doctor started his rounds today, Dr. van den Brink. He actually ran the Boston marathon yesterday. Calm demeanor and to the point kind of guy but we liked him. He was pleased with Jim's progress so far.

Around noon I went back to have lunch in the apartment then I walked 25 minutes to my hair appointment. I have been needing a cut and found a salon with good reviews fairly close by. Haircuts in the city are twice what I pay back home. I was pleased with the results.
While I was gone Alfred came by to encourage Jimmy to do physical therapy exercises. Alfred is the retired attorney I spoke about previously. Jim said he is 83 years old. He was showing Jim different stretching exercises to do. Sorry I missed him. We both took naps before dinner. I lay on the couch. It gets very boring sitting around. Even though I have plenty of time to read and go on the computer it still is tiring. I see what Jim means about constant interruptions. There is always someone coming in the room.

Later in the evening Jim did exercises. There is a step board and a mini exercise bike in his room. He also uses resistant bands. He did a great job of exercising tonight. It is very easy to lose muscle mass when confined to a room for a couple of weeks, especially if one doesn't feel well. It is also easy to get pneumonia if you aren't expanding your lungs by breathing deeply. All the little things we take for granted.

7 comments:

  1. Looking good. Love the flowers!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your haircut looks so good!! I love the bangs/ very sleek! A nurse once told me that you could take a healthy 21 year old, confine them to a bed for two weeks and they will lose the ability to walk. So I'm so glad he is
    doing his exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the post but I don't know who wrote this.???

      Delete
  3. Love the cut. Hugs to you and Boss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so grateful for your posts and look forward to them every single day. Your hair looks fabulous - the bangs are perfect! I'm so glad Uncle J is still feeling pretty good, and also doing the exercises. Things are sounding promising each day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great lipstick with cute cut! The flowers are so lovely! Thanks for sharing. Cyndie

    ReplyDelete