Sunday, April 24, 2016

Stonehenge 65


The apartment building I am renting is Stonehenge 65. As I mentioned in a previous post I am a short 10 minute walk to the hospital. The rent is incredibly high for two reasons: Upper East Side of Manhattan and short term stay. We are extremely lucky to be able to afford it. You would think that I am staying in some luxurious area but I will give you an insight to my immediate surroundings. It is hard to hide the trash collected in NYC. At night the building superintendents gather the trash and bring it to the curb. It is a sight to behold on trash pick up days. Sometimes I will be walking to run an errand and for blocks and blocks I see nothing but bags of trash lining the street.  The building on the corner of my street and the building directly across the street are vacant. The outside walls are covered in graffiti. Sometime homeless men sit on the corner begging for money or they lay passed out against the vacant building. Although it looks scary, I feel safe walking alone even at night. There are always people and cars around.



Jimmy was still in bed when I arrived to his room. He said he actually slept fairly well. His back is starting to bother him. It most likely is due to lack of mobility because he can only walk around in the room. There is a chance it is a side effect of the Neupogen shot he receives every day. The NP brought in some warm packs for him. He is really good about staying out of the bed and not sitting too long in one place. He will stand or alternate between chair and couch. You can always find him sitting on the couch between 3-4 in the afternoon. The sun is at its strongest then, supplying the couch with light and warmth.

Around 1:00 today Jimmy was getting ready to have a shower and then order something to eat. I decided to take a walk and treat myself to lunch. There is a vegan restaurant a short 20 minute walk from the hospital called Candle Cafe. I walked there and sat at a table for one. First I ordered a Flu & Cold Fighter juice. It was ginger, orange, grapefruit, carrot and lemon. I then had gluten free pancakes with fresh berries, almond whip cream and lemongrass-maple syrup. This restaurant is right up my alley. Again it is vegan so I didn't have to ask about milk, butter or egg ingredients and the food is DELICIOUS!


Being Sunday there was plenty of sports on television to occupy Jim's time. He watched the Caps beat the Flyers and now there is basketball. We didn't have as many interruptions today. Of course the team came in for a quick approval of how well Jim is doing but being Sunday there were fewer disturbances. He now has 10 days behind him since transplant. Another X on the calendar.








No comments:

Post a Comment