Saturday, April 9, 2016

Happy Birthday to Me

Today I am 57 years old. There was a time when that number sounded old to me. I've come to realize you are as young as your mind feels not so much how your body looks. As I age I see myself getting more impatient but at least I realize this so there is room for improvement. Yesterday was a prime example of how impatient I can be. I think it was justified. We finally arrived to Jim's room on the transplant floor a little before 1 AM. It would be another hour before he could actually turn the lights off and try to sleep. I walked home to the apartment and collapsed into bed around 2:15.

By 7:30 this morning I was back in the room. I was not going to miss meeting the transplant team. I also wanted to make sure there was not a miscommunication in the medications given to Jim. In the past some of the medications he takes have been left off the chart or prescribed the wrong dose. Today the transplant team consisted of the main doctor, a fellow and the nurse practitioner. It is the weekend therefor it is a skeleton crew. The transplant doctors rotate every two weeks so we will have this one until Friday. He was not Dr. Sauter. Instead we saw Dr. Sergio Giralt. It so happens that Dr. Giralt is chief of the adult bone marrow transplantation service. He was Robin Roberts' doctor. He was personable and genuinely a nice man. We also met the nurse practitioner who will be following Jim's case.

The day went pretty smooth. The day nurse, Jody, from Brooklyn introduced us to Jim's new companion, a sturdy rolling IV pole with four pump machines attached. This will be Jim's sidekick for the entire time he is in the hospital. Even when he showers he has to be hooked up. The central line catheter has four lumens (Jim calls them his dreadlocks). All medications, supportive fluids, chemotherapy and blood draws will be taken from his central line.
Yea...no more blood sticks.

Today they started what is called conditioning. It basically is the chemotherapy and other drug regimen given before he actually receives his donor cells. They started out only giving him one chemotherapy drug. We were given a calendar of what he will be given each day. I will go into that in more detail in a future blog.

Around 1:00 we were both pretty tired and with Jim's encouragement I went back to the apartment for a couple of hours. It was raining and I didn't have my raincoat or umbrella. Luckily it is only a 5  minute walk. I actually splurged and laid down for about an hour. I am not a napper. It makes me grumpy but it was a luxury I gave into.

In the afternoon the infectious disease team visited and it looks like the infection under Jim's arm is finally beginning to heal. Hopefully we will not be seeing that team anymore.

So back to my birthday. The best present I received was Jim finally making it to transplant. We had a lot of bumps along the way but he persevered. I look at each day as another day in the healing process. We know he is in for a rough road and yes it has already taken longer than we had hoped but we have Sara and Richard's wedding to look forward to and that will be the biggest motivator in Jim's recovery. We are in good hands.


8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Aunt Beth! I know that you did not expect to be in NYC on your 57th birthday, but at this time it is the absolute best place that you and Jimmy can be. I'm not sure if it was raining there today, but it was raining here, and as Jules always reminds me (and every time it rains, he looks for one), with rain comes rainbows. You are a fighter and Jimmy is so lucky to have you as his best friend, there for him every single day. We love you so much and have thought about you every day, and even more so on your birthday. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash. You tell Jules we will be keeping our eyes open for that rainbow in New York. It might be hard to see with all the tall buildings so maybe I am due a walk to Central Park soon.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Beth! You both have been on my mind throughout today. The love you both have found in one another is the best gift of all! Tell Jim he looks sharp in his hat! Hugs from the valley!
    An

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to have feedback on the blog. Thank you An and thanks for the hat. I think Jimmy is sporting it well.

      Delete
  3. You and Jim are in my thoughts every day. Love to both of you. Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Thanks Betsy! Glad you are reading the blog and commenting. I can't tell who reads it unless I see a comment. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear Jim is moving forward with the process. As you said, a great birthday gift for you. I loved his comment about the dreadlocks...I've never met Jim but his humor shines through this all. Your pictures are delightful; you have a great eye. I hope you were snuggled under that lovely blanket...handmade? We had lots of double rainbows here one day this week...one for each of you. Hugs to you both. Cyndie Lipari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cyndie,
    So glad you are reading the blog. Laura gave me the blanket for my birthday. It is a prayer shawl made by the Pohick Prayer Shawl Ministry. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete