Thursday, April 21, 2016

One Week Down

Another beautiful morning in New York City. I pass several street vendors on my way to the hospital. There is a fruit vendor directly in front of the main entrance. I spent a couple of hours this morning on the computer researching street vendors. There are as many as 20,000 street vendors in the city - hot dog vendors, flower vendors, t-shirt vendors, street artists, fancy food trucks and more. They are small businesspeople struggling to make a living. Most are immigrants. They work very long hours in all kinds of weather and do not make a lot of money by the end of the day. I have debated about buying produce from theses carts. When it comes to the dirty dozen, I stick to organic. But when we are talking oranges, lemons, bananas, mangos and avocados I choose the fruit carts. Yesterday I bought a head of cauliflower, a mango and an avocado and it only cost me $4.00.

Today Jimmy's blood counts dropped a little lower. I don't know how white blood cells can be less than zero but they were. His platelets are hovering at 11. Tomorrow they plan on giving him a platelet transfusion. He is cold most of the time. I might have to have some winter clothes sent back up here to keep him warm when we move to the Hope Lodge. When your red blood cells are below normal it is harder to stay warm. I wish I could lend him my internal furnace that I live with.




Today is Day +7, a full week since Jim's transplant. I think all the chemo and medicines they have been pumping into his system has started to affect his appearance.
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I recognize that picture :) What a goofball. I'm glad to hear he's sticking in there. He's a strong goofball. Love and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cheesy grin! Glad to see he hasn't lost his sense of humor! The price of produce on those carts is amazing! I wonder how they do it? By Debby

    ReplyDelete