Friday, April 22, 2016

Keep Chugging Along


I saw this quote on Instagram a couple of months ago and liked it. It can apply to almost any situation whether it be a sickness, bad relationship or unsatisfactory job. All I know is Jimmy and I are looking forward to retirement in the near future and exploring the country in our Airstream. It's important to have goals and visions for the future.

Last night I went back to the apartment earlier than usual. I was determined not to just sit on the couch and chill like I have been. Instead I cooked dinner for today, did two loads of laundry and started going through all of our things to see what I could send home. I really have to start lightening our load so it will be easier for me to move out when it is time. Jim won't be able to help. As I mentioned in the past we have accumulated a lot of stuff over the past 4 months. This was our load moving into the apartment.


Today Jimmy received a unit of red blood cells and a unit of platelets. It is pretty standard to give transplant patients supplemental blood as needed. His counts are expected to drop dangerously low and they will continue to supplement him until the new cells begin to grow. The blood Jim receives has been treated with radiation to prevent something called Transfusion-Associated Graft-versus Host Disease. The radiation kills off any white blood cells that remain in the donated blood after it has been filtered. When he is discharged from the hospital it is recommended he wear an alert bracelet with the warning that he can only be treated with irradiated blood. If he were to have an accident and was given blood that was not irradiated it could be fatal.

Yesterday he started a daily shot called Neupogen. This will help his white blood cells mature faster. He will get the shots everyday until his white counts gets to a certain level.
They also changed one of Jim's medications. It is an anti-fungal which they switched to a different type. One of the common side effects of the new drug is weird dreams and possible hallucinations for a couple of nights. Jimmy said he did experience disturbing, strange dreams last night. I'm glad the nursing staff gave him heads up. In a day or two they will reduce the dose of this drug so hopefully the side effects will go away.


I had to go to Staples today to print something and this little guy was tied up near the street. He seemed very distressed and was on point looking for his master. So ugly but yet so cute.

I went to the post office and am having trouble getting all my bills forwarded. The Washington Post cancelled our subscription because I didn't pay the last few bills. I never got them. Jim likes to read the Post online. Who knows what other bills I'm not receiving?

As I walked back to the apartment midday many people stood outside their place of employment taking a cigarette break. Sometimes I feel like I have ingested tobacco smoke for several blocks. It's disgusting. Tonight will be a full moon. Too bad the sky will be covered with clouds. I would love to get a picture. Guess the ER will be crazy tonight although I hear that is just a myth.

"I never meant to cause you any sorrow / I never meant to cause you any pain / I only wanted to one time to see you laughing / I only wanted to see you Laughing in the purple rain"             RIP Prince. You were very talented.



1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your blog. Your updates on Jim and how his day is going, how's he feeling is so comforting to all who care so much. Your insightfulness and expression of your personal experiences of NYC most of us have never seen is truly a treat and provides such a clear vision of what your seeing and I have always missed rushing around . I think you discovered a new talent. Luv your new hairdo. Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete