Monday, April 25, 2016

Expensive New York City

Last night I read an article in the real estate section of The New York Times. It was talking about a transaction that was the most expensive closed sale of the week. Financier Bennett LeBow paid $44, 833,408.00 for an apartment in 432 Park Avenue. Yes I said 44 million! I can see that building when I look out the apartment window. 432 Park Avenue is the tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere and the second tallest building in New York City. It was just completed in December. I am amazed at the wealth that exist in the city. Yesterday when I was walking to lunch I took a picture of a fancy looking race car. After researching it I discovered it was a Pagani, one of the most expensive cars in the world. They vary in price but according to Wikipedia they average 2.3 million dollars. WHAT???





 432 Park Avenue is obvious the tall one in the picture.

Today was another busy day in Room 831. Most everything happened before lunch. The NP came in to assess Jimmy and he is doing remarkable still. He has one spot in his mouth they will keep a look at but most likely it's a blood blister from his low platelet count. The doc came in and he was able to shower and have housekeeping in all before noon. Housekeeping comes in every day to swiff and mop his room and thoroughly clean his bathroom. While showering the nurses aide changes his sheets. He has to have his bed changed each day to minimize any germs. I think the highlight of his day was when Denise from The Integrative Medicine Department came in and gave Jimmy a very relaxing foot massage. His back has been sore but because his platelets were so low they could only massage his feet. 

Midday I took a walk to the post office. This is the time of day when I see the most dogs. Mostly dog walkers taking their dogs on a quick trip around the block. I stopped and talked to an older couple with two dogs. The bulldog, Roxy, was only 9 months and didn't want her picture taken. She was too busy trying to go face to face with me. She was big for 9 months and so cute. When I got back to the apartment the bellman asked about Jim. Harry is the morning bellman. He is so friendly and asks me everyday how Jim is doing. Today as I was getting into the elevator he told me he lit a candle for him yesterday. Harry is a sweetheart.



This afternoon Jim got a bag of platelets. Anytime they are below 10 they will give him a bag. Today his levels were 8. Tonight will be his last dose of the very powerful Methotrexate drug which helps prevent his body from rejecting the new cells. This has been a harsh drug on the system and it has bad side effects. Hopefully in a day or two we will start to see his counts go up. His white blood cells are 0.1 and when that number starts to increase is an indication his donor cells are starting to take. Bring on the new cells.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe the wealth there either! What a wonderful man Harry is to light a candle! We are all connected.

    ReplyDelete