Saturday, April 16, 2016

Keep it Boring


After I got back to the apartment last night I took this picture. It's hard to capture the beauty of the night with my phone. I could hear cars honking constantly but also the sound of people laughing from the streets below. All those lights inside each apartment. So many people. Such a different way of life. 

Jim was sitting on the couch in his room when I arrived this morning. We are still reveling in his new room. It is hard enough not being able to walk down the hall but having two big windows to sit near and look out through makes it bearable. He is officially a bubble boy. (Thanks for the picture Jeff). Jim will not be able to leave the room for a couple of weeks. They are very good about keeping things clean here. As I mentioned before anyone entering the room must put on gloves and a mask. They took him off of gown isolation for now. Every day housekeeping comes in and mops his floor with a special germicide. Then it is time for the Xenix Germ-Zapping Robot. This machine is placed in Jim's bathroom everyday and for 5 minutes it is able to destroy deadly microorganisms using a special kind of UV light.

We waited all morning for the medical team to come in. I didn't want to miss them and Jimmy wanted to take a shower. Finally around noon they came in. It was the weekend crew with a new doctor on call. There wasn't much to say. The only question we asked is where they sure they gave Jimmy enough chemo to knock out his blood counts. He hasn't hit rock bottom yet. The doctor explained that his counts are dropping and to enjoy feeling strong for a couple of more days. I keep thinking maybe he won't feel as bad as most people because he has tolerated all the garbage they have put into him over the last two years and he is physically fit going into this thing. We'll see how he feels tomorrow.

I left to run a few errands, post office and grocery store. I went back to the apartment to make lunch and I made a dinner for myself that I brought back to the hospital for later. I spent half an hour in the guest kitchen talking to other family members. Everybody's got something. Back in the room Jim and I did stretches. The physical therapist suggested he shoot for 30 minutes a day. I may as well do the exercises with him. My bottom is turning to jello just sitting around all day. Tonight I'll just chill with Jimmy in the room. I think I heard something about a hockey game.

No comments:

Post a Comment