Monday, April 11, 2016

Day Minus Three

It is really odd waking up in the morning in a strange bed, strange apartment, strange city without Jim by my side and no dog wagging his tail when he sees me. Finally I have a routine. I wake up, pick out the lightest clothing I have and prepare to go to the hospital. It is warm on the floor so I have to dress light because it gets even warmer wearing a gown, mask and gloves. I put on my Be The Match bands that I have been wearing since July. I usually bring my breakfast to the hospital, a yogurt or overnight oats. I never like to eat the minute I get up. I also grab my orange backpack and bring it everywhere I go. No purse for me in NYC.

Jim had been up since 5:30 this morning. They come in for vitals, blood draws and weigh him before the doctors make their rounds. He said he felt rested so decided to sit in a chair and check his emails. The team came in around 10:00. Today is Day-3. Jim was started on another medication to help prevent his body from rejecting the donor cells when he receives them. In order to start these drugs they had to attach another pump to his IV pole so now he has 5 pumps sending fluids and medications into his body.

Around noon I left to take a few things back to the apartment. This gives Jim time to shower and get dressed. I am not allowed to enter his bathroom so the nursing assistant is required to stay in the room while he showers. His central line area is covered with plastic patches to keep the water out.

I straightened up the apartment, grabbed some dinner to bring back to the hospital and headed to CVS and the post office. I was pleasantly surprised to have several packages to pick up and a few birthday cards. I don't know who gave me one of the cards. It was not signed. If you are the sender show yourself. No really thank you but I wish I knew who you were.

Walking back to the hospital I walked behind a dog owner who had the audacity to not pick up his dog's poo which was left on the sidewalk. I had to bite my tongue not to catch up with him and tell him how disgusting and irresponsible that was.





On the way back I passed freshly planted flowers and children playing in the park. Spring is here.



Jimmy was drinking a coffee milkshake when I got back to his room. He said it was tasty. Then he had Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes for lunch. We walked the 14 laps around the unit meeting two women along the way. Both of them were patients. One lady said she had AITL also. We have never met or spoken to anyone who has the same disease as Jim's. She is getting ready for a transplant using her own cells like Jim had October 2014. Maybe she will have more success than he did.

Jim has named his IV pole. After much thought he has decided on Tad. Can you guess what the last name is? (answer: pole). Our good friend Jim W. gave Jimmy a hat last May. A hope hat to be exact. I want to figure out how to place it on the top of Tad without interfering with the IV bags.

Tonight was an early turn in night for me. Jim was tired and so was I. I actually left around 6:00, stopped by chipotle to grab some dinner and headed back to the apartment. It started raining. I always text Jimmy when I arrive back so he knows I got home safely. I'm turning in early tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy....you're so funny....Tad Pole! You have Tom Schimmel beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a series of ups and downs...but I continue to be buoyed with all of the overall encouraging news!!!

    ReplyDelete