Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Wet Wednesday

Free day today. We both slept in and waited for the kitchen to clear out before we went in to make breakfast. I made oatmeal topped with pecans and apples and a very special treat for Jim, cinnamon rolls. Little piggy ate THREE! That's ok since I can't have any. The delicious smell from the just baked buns wafted into the hall. When opening the can of cinnamon buns I had to laugh thinking back to the disaster I had with them back in April, refer to blog post April 26th.

http://looking4thesilverlining.blogspot.com/2016/04/woke-up-on-groovy-tuesday.html

When I get back to Virginia I am going to find a recipe for homemade gluten free cinnamon buns to make.

Today we had a thundershower. Right in the middle of the day it rained for a couple of hours and some nice cool air blew in. I even saw a little lightening accompanied by thunder. We have been spending a lot of time in the small sitting room on our floor. I have never seen anyone in here. I'm not sure why because it is quiet and secluded. Quiet if you keep the window closed but the noise of the street doesn't bother me anymore. I don't even get up to look out the window when someone below starts screaming. That is common here on West 32nd Street. This room is where I go with my yoga mat in the morning to stretch. Call me stiffy but the stretching does help.


For those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile saw that on May 18th I wrote about a woman in the room next to us named Shirley. I said I preferred not to be in the kitchen with her because she gave off bad energy. That may have sounded a little harsh. Now it has been three weeks since I made that statement and I still do not know much about Shirley. I have engaged her in brief conversations but she is very private and prefers to eat looking down at her cell phone when in the kitchen with others. I have yet to see anyone visit her. The deal is she also is a transplant patient. I think she is about one month ahead of Jim. Apparently she had a hired caretaker when she first got to the Hope Lodge but she told me she couldn't stand it and eventually let her go. She just never mentioned it to the HL staff or her doctor. It is a requirement that all transplant patients have a caretaker for the first three months post-transplant. I have been concerned because the past 3 or 4 days I have not seen Shirley. We usually overlap times in the kitchen. We also share a pantry and the top shelf of the refrigerator. Jim mentioned he saw her briefly the other day which made me feel better but I don't think she is eating or coming into the kitchen often. Today when I opened the pantry I could see and smell 4 very ripe bananas. One had oozed out onto the shared shelf and dripped to the bottom shelf accumulating around her olive oil bottles. I took the initiative to throw the bananas away and clean her side of the pantry. Obviously something is wrong. She may have ended up back in the hospital. Right before dinner I called 1101 on the house phone. It connected me to her room. Shirley answered. I just told her it was me and that I hadn't seen her lately and I was concerned. She said she hasn't been feeling well but was better. She didn't want to talk further. We hung up and I never told her about the bananas. Hopefully we will see her out of her room soon.

1 comment:

  1. This picture really hit home for me and I was a bit emotional. Seeing you in the room by yourself, 6 months in NYC, with your computer on your lap blogging to keep us all in the loop, and knowing Jimmy's story and progress because of your blogging just really made me feel overwhelmed, in a good way. I've been a week or two behind on the blog due to life showing up in my own way, and am so happy to be reconnected with it. I love you both and I have a few more blog posts to read to make sure I'm up to date but feel so encouraged and each day feel you are closer to being back home.

    ReplyDelete