Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sunday Pride Day

This morning after breakfast Jim and I snatched a couple of comfy chairs on the patio before it became crowded. We were going to walk Central Park but the air quality index was poor so we changed our minds. After securing our spots I walked over to Starbucks to buy a cold brewed coffee and get a Sunday paper. Little did I know that papers in the city are mostly sold at stand-alone newsstands. I walked a block or two looking for one and after asking a traffic cop I was pointed in the right direction. Back in the 1950's there were over 1,500 independent newsstands in the city. Today that number has plummeted to 300. Newsstands that used to sell over 1,000 papers a day barely sell 100. They stay in business by selling lottery tickets. When I finally reached the stand on Broadway I waited patiently for the man in front of me to finish his transaction. He must have spent 3 or 4 minutes rattling off all the numbers he wanted to play the lottery.

On my way back to the Lodge I passed swarms of people on their way to New York City's annual gay pride fest. There were rainbow colors everywhere. I cannot take credit for the picture. The march began only a half mile from the Hope Lodge and ended in Greenwich Village. I wanted to go but with over a million attendees that would not be the best place for Jim to be. As I write this at 7:30 at night traffic is still gridlocked on the street below. There is a lot of honking going on.

We have been munching throughout the day instead of having 3 solid meals. Because of Jim having to be on a low microbial diet we eat different things a lot. Tonight Jim had some of his NYC pizza I had frozen for a future meal. I had a lettuce less salad. We had smoothies for dinner. Eating is another thing that is different since we have been up here. We eat when we want and not on a schedule. I guess that's how retired people do it.


















The first two pictures are the Rainbow themed Empire State Building that we can see from our bedroom window. The last picture is an aerial view from an article I read on the internet.
BEAUTIFUL!

1 comment:

  1. Pride, Tolerance, Acceptance, and Love.

    ReplyDelete