Saturday, June 18, 2016

Day 65 and Going Strong

Jim has been wanting some real buckwheat pancakes so this morning I went to the kitchen and whipped up a batch. We're talking wholesome heavy buckwheat, the stick to your ribs goodness. Actually it's a combination of buckwheat flour and brown rice flour. There is no egg or oil in the recipe and the only sweetener is a little bit of maple syrup. To my surprise they turned out really good. Jim can't have fresh berries because of his special transplant restrictions but I heated some organic strawberries on the stove with a little sugar until they turned into a yummy compote. We topped the pancakes with the strawberries. Accompanied by some strong French press coffee breakfast was good. I'll be doing this recipe again.





Today our excursion was walking back to the High Line. Saturdays are packed so we didn't stay on the trail very long. Our goal was to find the Chelsea Farmers Market. Most of the produce vendors were from upstate New York or New Jersey. I bought some gluten free everything bagels that came from Woodstock, New York. We also bought swiss chard, asparagus, eggs and pork breakfast sausages for Jim. I miss my farmers markets in Virginia so I was glad to support this one. On the way back to the Hope Lodge Sara and Skye called and we facetimed with them as we walked. We fit right in with the New Yorkers. Jim and I see young people walking down the street with their phones in front of their faces as they talk and see the person on the other end. Today we fit right in.


Tonight we are watching a funny series on Netflix. It's called Grace and Frankie, starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. So far it is hilarious. We could use a few laughs. Nightie night.

2 comments:

  1. The posts and Uncle J's health just keep getting better and better. I am so happy. Funny about the buckwheat pancakes...Jules is a pancake lover. Early one morning last weekend when we were at my mom's house, I mentioned that she loved her some buckwheat pancakes growing up. I think his response went something like "buck wheat what gross ewww". I then went on to tell him she also loved a hot pot of "wheatina" to which he still did not understand. Oh, and the canned salmon from when Jimmy, Sandy, and Debby grew up! It was a good laugh and I loved this post about Jimmy wanting the real deal buckwheat pancakes! I bet they were delicious and all of us (sans Jules) would appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love having all your comments Ash. And Jimmy still likes wheatena although it is not a common cereal in our household.

    ReplyDelete