Monday, June 6, 2016

Monotonous Monday

Our time at the Hope Lodge is becoming monotonous. Jimmy is still going to the hospital twice a week for maintenance which generally involves blood work, vital signs, meeting with the NP and sometimes Dr. Sauter, and then IV hydration if needed. Other than that we are at the Lodge. Because of the location it isn't easy to step outside and take a pleasant walk. The crowd of people and filthy sidewalks we have to walk through to get anywhere is off-putting, especially to Jim who has to wear his mask and gloves. I guess you could say we are becoming a little stir-crazy. Thank goodness the girls are coming to visit on Friday. They will be taking the bus up from Virginia and are staying two nights. Unfortunately they will not be allowed to visit our room but we can spend time with them on the 6th floor and we can go to their hotel room to hang out.

I did not blog yesterday. We did not go anywhere. It was a boring day so not much news to report. It rained off and on. In the afternoon Jim and I were sitting in the kitchen and you could see the rain blowing sideways. Looking down from the window I could see all the people scurrying along to and from Penn Station. It's difficult to keep umbrellas upright when the rain is blowing sideways. The Hope Lodge provides free internet however the other day it was shut off all day due to maintenance. Ever since, it has been spotty. I tried to watch a show on my computer last night while Jim was watching the basketball game and it kept cutting out. It was so frustrating. Then once again I have to remind myself how lucky I am that we have the Hope Lodge to stay at for these three months. I have to remind myself not to get frustrated over the little things.

Early afternoon Jim and I took the granny cart and walked to Whole Foods. Jim stayed outside on a side street while I maneuvered the crowds inside trying to ascertain where things were. I follow a list for the most part and try to plan at least two meals at a time. I do not have enough refrigerator space to buy more than a couple of days worth of food. I try to be considerate of the shared refrigerator space. The shared space is the side door, 2 bottom crisper drawers and the freezer. Right after I put the groceries away Little Boy Larry (of the Val and Larry duo) came into the kitchen with two bags of groceries. He is so nice but such a little kid. He told us he can't pass up a bargain. Although he already had a large ketchup taking up room in the frig, plus one unopened one in his pantry he still bought a jumbo one today. Larry has used up  more than half the side door, half of the freezer space and one of the crisper drawers.                      Ai yai yai!
While in Whole Foods I glanced down and saw a little dog poking his head out of this woman's purse. People bring their dogs into Starbucks and the drugstore so why not Whole Foods?

One last thing. The lease for our post office box will be running out soon...yes it is coming up on 6 months since we have been in New York. We will be able to receive all mail at the Hope Lodge. The address is:

Beth and Jim Riddle
c/o American Cancer Society Hope Lodge
132 West 32nd Street, Room 1102
New York, NY 10001

3 comments:

  1. Let Lou know that ketchup doesn't need to be refrigerated! It sure would be nice if you could come home and visit the doc at Georgetown twice a week/ you would have less people, less germs, better groceries, more rest and peace of mind- any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was from me- D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe it has been six months already! See you in three days. XOXO

    ReplyDelete