Saturday, June 25, 2016

Forty Years

In the summer of 1976 I was an average looking girl with long straight brown hair. I wore little or no makeup and my skin was pale and freckly. I used to notice Jimmy Riddle coming out of the classroom next to mine at Woodson High School. I recall many times walking behind him as we maneuvered through the crowded hallway. He was tall and thin with long wavy hair and he wore converse tennis shoes. I used to go to the neighborhood park with friends and many times I would see him engrossed in a basketball game. He seemed confident and a little cocky at times. Over the summer my friend, Michel, who lived behind me introduced me to Jimmy at the pool. We would flirt and talk. Then on June 25th of that summer Jimmy kissed me at a party at Bill Pickford's house. That is the day we started dating. That was forty years ago. Where does the time fly. The two of us have survived several break ups, graduated from college, went on to marry, had two daughters, one cat and three dogs. We have had our share of challenges along the way but I am glad I face these challenges with such a great man. I am glad he never gave up on me all those years ago. He is a fighter.




3 comments:

  1. Love is love, is love, is love, is love. No matter when and where, love happens when we are lucky! And I'm so glad you all found it 40 years ago and still today. I think about the impact that day 40 years ago has had on so many...I gained beautiful cousins, a loving aunt, my mom gained a beautiful sister-in-law, grandma and granddad have a beautiful daughter-in-law inside and out, and so many more relationships have happened because of that one day (thanks to whomever hosted that party!). We've had so many wonderful memories and times together, and Uncle J has you to be there for him every second of every day...40 years to date and also in the future. I miss you all so much and can't wait to hug you both (oh so soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky we are to have you two. You two are the strongest people I know, and your hope and your love are inspiring to everyone. Miss you so much and can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete