Monday, May 16, 2016

Yoga and Then More Yoga

I got up before Jim this morning and went into the library/reading room with my yoga mat and did some yoga stretches. My body felt stiff and creaky. I have all this time on my hands so there is no excuse for me not to limber up with a few poses. Today was a free day.  No rushing to catch the shuttle and hang around the hospital for hours. We were free to sleep in, free to wait for the crowd to die down in the kitchen before we went in to have breakfast and free to go to the grocery store together on our own schedule. The grocery store...ugh. The place I had my melt down. I've been holding it together pretty well during this lengthy stay here in New York but today I lightened up on my control. Jim and I walked to Trader Joe's this afternoon. At first it did not look too crowded so Jim came in with me. Remember he has to stay away from crowds and he wears his gloves and mask around other people. We were trying to buy a few things he can eat on this low potassium diet. After a few aisles it became wall to wall people. The line for the checkout winded up and down several aisles making it difficult to look at items on those shelves. I was trying to find where things were and reading labels for potassium levels all the while being in peoples way. It was crowded and I felt claustrophobic. Finally when I went to check out a woman pushed her cart in front of me and I then ran into the back of her shoe. I followed her to her line and apologized and she looked at me with disgust and said "Yea" with a doubtful tone. As if I ran into her on purpose. The exit to the store was narrow and crowded, I still had to put my sweater on and we had several bags of groceries so I just lost it in the little exit area. I shouldn't have even apologized. It seems I am always saying I'm sorry when walking on the street if my path crosses with another person. Most people here just look out for themselves. I rarely hear anyone else say "I'm sorry" "Pardon me" or "Excuse me". Were they not taught manners?

Now that I got that off my chest I feel better. When we got back from our Trader Joe experience I made lunch and went down to the main floor to take advantage of the 3:00 yoga class being offered. There were only 2 of us taking the class and it was difficult but I needed to breathe some more and I'm glad I went.



Jim and I spent the later part of the afternoon in the library on our floor. It gets us out of our bedroom and it is a cozy little room. There are three chairs, two bookcases full of books to borrow and a little table and reading light. That's it. It is a nice change of scenery. We sat and read and drank green tea together. I know...how cute. At 6:00 my focus turned to, as Edgar Allan Poe described in his poem The Bells, "the tintinnabulation that so musically wells from the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells".

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed Beth! Reciting poetry and doing yoga in one day! I wanted to hear more though of what you said when you " lost it"! Glad you feel better.

    ReplyDelete