Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Taste of Normalcy

Jimmy slept 12 hours last night. He was sleep deprived in the hospital and has some catching up to do. Unfortunately I had to wake him up twice for meds but it wasn't as bad as being in the hospital. The bed in the apartment is very comfortable. I sleep with ear plugs to drown out the noise of the street below and the construction directly across from the building begins at 7:00 in the morning. The wall behind our bed backs to a stairwell and service elevator. You can hear the elevator going up and down late at night and early in the morning. I think this is when the superintendent does most of his work retrieving the recyclables that are collected on every floor. Sometimes I can also hear the trash traveling down the chute. This is why I sleep with ear plugs.

It rained today. Luckily there was a break in the weather when it wasn't raining and I quickly went to the store to get a few more items for the week. I don't want to buy too many things because we will be moving to the Hope Lodge Wednesday. My lease in the apartment runs out Friday so what we plan on doing is move some things to the Hope Lodge Wednesday and check in with them then come back and stay at the apartment Wednesday and Thursday night.

Aside from my short trip to the grocery store Jim and I stayed in the apartment all day. I started to pack and get ready for our last move. It was so refreshing not to have to wear a mask and gloves all day. I still have to be very careful around Jim. I have to keep the apartment/room clean and free of dust. I also have to clean the bathroom everyday. Brian our nurse on the last day gave me a large tub of hospital grade germicidal wipes to use. He suggested I use the disposal gloves when using them. He also gave us a big box of gloves.

I made a nice Mexican dinner tonight. Jim was getting tired of the hospital food even though he said it was the best hospital food he has ever had. He will be on a microbial (neutropenic) diet for the next three months. There are lots of restrictions with this diet. I will have to refresh my memory with it and become creative with my preparations. We have to treat Jim's system like a newborn baby's. Since he has a very immature immune system that is just beginning to work we have to be extra cautious.

I hear Fairfax got a showering of hail yesterday. Jane sent me a picture of our boy, Boo, looking out the window of their home with Miss JJ sitting behind him. We miss Boo and can't wait to be reunited again this summer.



1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to be normal! Once you both get back home, it will be too quiet to sleep! I hope your patient is a good boy and follows all the rules. By Debby

    ReplyDelete