Tuesday, May 10, 2016

As Jim Says "View From Prison"




I was up and on the shuttle by 7:00. Lou was the driver. There are three consistent drivers who rotate the commute from Hope Lodge to the hospital. Lou, a short, stout Italian man, in his late 40’s has had many careers. The one he is known the best for by the riders of the shuttle is being a movie stunt car driver in the 80’s. He will gladly show pictures of himself with Johnny Depp if you start talking to him. He still drives like a stunt driver flying down the streets of New York with classic rock playing loudly throughout the shuttle. Don’t get me wrong. Lou is a very nice compassionate man but playing loud rock music and racing along the streets of New York while passengers, many whom do not feel well, bump and sway in their seats does not seem right to me.

Jim was up in the chair when I arrived which made me happy. I brought my overnight oats and we had breakfast together. When the team came in they said Jim could be discharged. It was a short lived joy because within an hour they came back in and recommended he stay another night. Some of his liver and kidney levels were a little high for their liking. They thought one more day of fluids and monitoring was best. Another camper who is not happy.



   
The good news is he tested negative for the viral infection they thought he might have. They are uncertain where his infection stems from. The massive doses of IV antibiotics he has had since Friday should take care of the infection. Today they switched his antibiotic to pill form.

Before lunch we did 7 laps around the floor and walked over to the Resource Room and sat out on the patio for a bit.  That's where Jim got the idea of "A View From Prison". I'm glad he still has his humor. We had a lunch spread of stuffed grape leaves, hummus and chips. He doesn’t want to eat the hospital food if I can bring an alternative. 

I left on the 4:15 shuttle to head back. Laundry needs to be done and the laundry room closes at 6:30. Malcolm was the shuttle driver home. He is an overweight black man who whistles off key to the music playing unless he is talking on his cell phone. He also likes to yell out of his window at stop lights in a friendly manner to other people. I assume he knows them. On the way home he decided to drive along the outskirts of Central Park and through Times Square. The shuttle doesn't normally take this route. I purposely put my glasses back on so I could partake in the people watching. It never gets boring looking out the window.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know what to say about the shuttle bus and its drivers! Like you said, it just doesn't sit well with me! How bizarre! Only in NY. Let's hope Jimmy can get out of jail tomorrow. By Debby

    ReplyDelete