Monday, July 18, 2016

Like Robin Roberts said "Everybody's Got Something"

Yesterday I met a new couple on the floor. They moved in next door to us, Shirley's old room. I haven't spoken to the wife yet but I had a nice conversation with Irwin in the kitchen. He and Martha have been together for 54 years. He must have met her when he was 12 because he doesn't look very old. Martha was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and has recently gone through treatment. Last month she had surgery. The kicker here is the reason they are at the Hope Lodge is because Irwin is a patient at MSK. He had his prostate removed four years ago but they must have left a few cells behind and his cancer is back. He said all looks hopeful for him and that Martha is the real hero. Irwin shares the pantry with me and so far all I see in there are three bags of Oreos, pretzels, pepsi, and chips. Oh Boy.


So today I took the Amtrak to Charlottesville to visit Skye. Jimmy walked me to the station donning his mask and gloves. We joked how he looked suspicious with his cap and mask on. They are supposed to be on alert around Penn Station. The train ride to Charlottesville is a 7 hour ride but couldn't be any easier ONCE you get through the stress of Penn Station. You see before you board the train you stand in a large open area waiting for the large ticker board to flip and tell you which track to go to to board your train. Track assignments are given out 10-15 minutes before departure. Not in my case. My train was to depart at 12:35 and the ticker board didn't flip until 12:33. Once you know the track everyone rushes to that escalator and are herded in like cattle. I found a seat and sat next to Carol. We did not talk for the first hour and then we couldn't stop talking until Carol got off in Burke. What a story she had to tell. Over the last seven months I have been exposed to some very sad stories while in New York. Here I am getting away from it all for two days and I sit next to an amazing woman with a story of her own. Robin Roberts was right when she said everyone's got something.


Carol is about 60. She has a daughter and 2 sons. She lost her husband to a stroke in 2010. After many years and with the encouragement of family and friends she met Joe on OK Cupid. Joe was also a widow and had two daughters, 19 and 24. Last May Carol and Joe married, bought a house together and fixed it up nicely. Ten months into their marriage Joe was diagnosed with liver cancer that had metastasized and he died within 4 weeks. Poor Carol went through her phone pictures with me and showed me details of the last year. Other things also have happened but I won't even touch on them. For one person to have so much grief is not that uncommon. I have seen it too many times in the past six months.

After the Burke stop I sat by myself and had another 2 hours to enjoy alone before I arrived in Charlottesville. Each day I am learning to really enjoy the moments we have and the simple pleasures in life. I am writing this on the train because I know when I see Skye I won't be blogging tonight. I will be making the most of our short visit.



Ok I thought I was getting off the train soon but 15 minutes outside of Charlottesville the train stopped and eventually the conductor let us know there was a break on the rail and we would have to wait for it to be repaired. My 7 hour train ride has now turned into a 9 hour train ride. I am not sweating the small stuff. I can't wait to see Skye but things could be worse. Cheers!

$16.00 half bottle of Cabernet but I am worth it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Beth- I really feel for you! It's a good thing you can stay so calm. I know with caregivers, they learn to expect the unexpected. It's a lesson well learned and comes in handy with situations such as these! Deb

    ReplyDelete