Thursday, July 14, 2016

Day 91

Neither one of us slept well last night. I was ready to get up early this morning but stayed in bed until 7:30. I was looking forward to hearing the church bells ring at 7:00 but a few minutes before the hour the air conditioning unit cut on and drowned out the beautiful sound. I went to the kitchen to make some muesli for breakfast and there was a new person sitting in the corner table where Jim and I usually sit. Here I go again, feeling a little territorial. She was not only in our seat but she was in her bathrobe which is a violation of the rules. She was wearing a winter robe and had the air conditioning blasting to the point that the heat coming through the open windows caused the air conditioner to condensate and collect in a pool of water on the floor. When I say violation what I mean is the Hope Lodge asks residents to dress before entering the kitchen. I could care less if she had her robe on. I just thought I would give you a visual.  She was on her laptop having a cup of coffee. Like usual both dishwashers were half loaded with dirty dishes and very few clean dishes were left in the cabinet. There were a few dishes sitting in the dish drain (another violation) so I put them in the dishwasher and consolidated the two machines and turned one on. I'm sure I was hastily flitting around the kitchen as Jim would tell you but someone has to take charge. It's usually Larry or me. About the time the muesli was done Jim came into the kitchen. The woman in the bathrobe went over to the sink and turned and asked me if I put her dishes in the dishwasher. I explained to her that all the dishes needed to be washed by hand and then put in the dishwasher and that I did not know those were hers.  At first I thought maybe she wasn't done with them but she said she was letting them dry. I know it sounds like I am a Kitchen Nazi and maybe I am but I do it with 100 percent concern for Jim. He will not get a food borne contamination on my watch.

So after breakfast I started the laundry. We are only allowed to use one of the two washers at a time. I had two loads to wash so after the first load was finished washing I put them in the dryer. After about 30 minutes I went back to check on the dryer and what did I find? I had put money in the empty dryer and it had been spinning round and round with no clothes in it. My pile of wet clothes sat still in the dryer next to it.
I've lost my mind. Maybe it was the Jin Shin Jyutsu session I had earlier in the day. It relaxed my mind so much I forget to turn my brain back on.

On Thursdays the housekeepers clean and socialize in the kitchen on our floor. No one is allowed in there from 12:30-3:30. Jim and I spent our time in the reading room AND we did some mall walking across the street at the Manhattan Mall. Two miles baby...round and round and round.



At 5:30 a group of young employees from a public relations firm brought pizza and games to entertain the residents. Jim and I went down and Jimmy had three pieces of pizza. It was nice talking to the volunteers.

3 comments:

  1. Beth, I would be the crazy person in the kitchen as well.... some people are just in their own little world and not thinking of others or just don't care.

    I'm counting down the days along with you & Jimmy. When you're making your run for the border leave your shoulder bumps, walking shoes with all the poop and granny cart behind and enter home with nothing but joy.

    VA is for lovers..... that's you and Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to get out of Dodge!! Betsy makes me laugh even when I don't hear her voice! She's right. New York can stand for something else, but Virginia is for lovers no matter whether you have your minds or not. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. This makes me laugh too. I now have a visual.

    ReplyDelete