Sunday, January 24, 2016

Jonas Hits New York City



Today we woke up in anticipation of snowstorm Jonas. Very little snow had accumulated over night. The only view we could see from our room at the Hope Lodge was facing West 32nd street. From our bedroom window on the 9th floor we can only see a small portion of the narrow street below and the tall brick buildings in front of us. For breakfast I made buckwheat pancakes with bananas, chocolate chips and walnuts. I had just enough almond milk left for the pancakes. We are running low on food staples but will make due until I get to the store. Around noon we went to the 6th floor to watch the snow fall. The 6th floor of the Hope Lodge is the general floor where residents can go and spread out. There are many sitting areas, a full kitchen, library, meditation room, computer room and television area. There is a large deck that would be very nice during warmer months. The windows are floor to ceiling on one side which made for nice weather watching. Here are a few pictures from mid-day. The snow is beginning to come down harder.


 I was texting back and forth a lot today with Sara and Skye, Debby and Sandy, Jane and Laura. We were sharing pictures from the day. Northern Virginia and Charlottesville were hit hard too. Around 2:30 we went back to our floor and I made grilled cheese sandwiches. Jim had cheddar on sourdough and I had petit basque (a sheep cheese) on Le Pain's gluten free bread. It was my first grilled cheese sandwich in over three years. So delicious! I still have to watch my yeast intake. The bread is made with yeast so I can't be eating it every day but it is a nice splurge. After lunch Jim took a nap and I went back downstairs to watch the snow. Later for dinner I had to be creative with what little items we had left in our designated bin. The refrigerator is divided into 6 sections and each room has their own bin to store their food. We split a leftover bean and cheese tortilla, leftover tilapia from the other night and sweet potato fries. After dinner we went back to the room and I talked to Denise. We watched TV the rest of the night, mostly CNN. Much of the coverage was the DC area and NYC. Central Park got 26 inches of snow. We are going to try to walk to CVS tomorrow to pick up some medicine for Jimmy and check out the snow for ourselves. Hopefully we can buy a few more groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment