Friday, September 15, 2017

Sunny South Carolina

Last night Jim and I visited with our neighbors and another couple. One couple lived outside of Boston and the other in Savannah. They were about our age (maybe a little older) and delightful to talk to. I had my Memorial Sloan Kettering sweatshirt on and the woman from Savannah said her best friend from college has been a nurse at MSK for twenty years. Both couples were dog lovers and took a liking to Boo. I had to put him in the trailer after a while because the camper on the other side of us had two cats that the man walked on a leash. At first Boo was puzzled and just sat and stared but then he went ballistic and had to be put inside.

This morning we got on the road by 10:00. There was a beautiful blanket of fog hugging the mountain and the ground was wet with dew. We had to pack up our chairs, door mat and rug while still wet but figured they will dry out at our next destination. I'm glad I did two loads of laundry last night because I never know where the next laundromat will be. 

We did not have definitive plans today but we did know we wanted to go to Laurens, South Carolina to do some genealogy research on the Riddle's. Jim's dad has researched his lineage back to Mary and John Riddle (maybe Riddell) that came over from Scotland via Ireland. They supposedly settled in Laurens and are buried there. There are many Riddle families still living in the town. We decided to stay at the closest campground to Laurens, Magnolia RV Park.

It is hot today, mid 80's. We turned the air conditioning on for the first time. It was having trouble cooling the bedroom area but the sitting/kitchen area is fine. All of a sudden Boo bounced up from his sleep and we discovered the air conditioning unit was leaking on him. Now we have a bucket in the middle of our tiny hang out area. Jeez, what next? On top of things, when I got back from the shower area I noticed the truck lights were on. When I put more ice in the cooler a couple of hours earlier I took the keys out of the ignition from the passenger side not realizing the lights were on. I went to start the battery and it was dead. Luckily by the time I told Jim, the battery had time to regenerate and he was able to start it.

Boo was also sick today. He threw up twice this morning and refused his breakfast. That is not like him. Then he didn't want to drink much water while traveling. Luckily this evening it looks like he has rebounded. Gotta keep an eye on the old boy.

1 comment:

  1. Cats on a leash. I'd probably go inside the trailor too :) Hope Boo bounced back quickly from being under the weather!

    ReplyDelete